“I always work on the assumption that you’ve been compromised”
DE:CODED is the official podcast from SE Labs.Listen on Apple Podcasts Listen on Spotify Listen on Google Podcasts Listen on Stitcher RSS Feed
🥇 Winner of the Best Up & Coming Podcast 2021 award 🥇
Show notes for series 1, episode 7
What does a computer security breach look like? We talk about the things journalists don’t cover. And we examine some areas that people in the industry don’t like to talk about.
In this episode we’re going to look at what a computer breach, or hack, actually looks like. We take the view from both the attacker and defender’s positions, so you can get a full picture.
We welcome special guest St. John Harold, a cyber security veteran of 20 years experience. He has operated in the British armed forces, governmental organisations and commercial companies.
What Does a Breach Look Like?
How do attackers behave? Are ‘advanced’ attacks really advanced? Can you tell who is attacking you?
Simon and St. John discuss real-life security problems and solutions from the point of view of attackers and defenders. Both have vast experience in keeping networks safe, and in attacking them. Consequently their discuss is a valuable resource for any CISO.
This 100% vendor agnostic discussion provides a unique perspective and so gives a fantastic insight into what you need to know to secure your business.
Please subscribe and join the discussions.
Sign up to our newsletter!
- Hollywood breaches vs. reality
- Attacker view of breaches
- Evolution of attack techniques
- Phishing, social engineering and email security
- (Ab)using credentials
- AI and machine learning in breach detection
- Hacker training grounds
- Alert fatigue
- The role of CERTs
- Are attacks really ‘advanced’?
- Subcontracting hackers and attribution
- How to choose products and services
- Security can make things *more* convenient
- Assume they have compromised from
- Personal privacy
- De:Coded Cyber website
- TheRegister – don’t learn you’ve been breached by reading about it here
- BellTroX – hackers for hire
- Can We Stop Pretending SMS Is Secure Now? (KrebsOnSecurity)
Peek further behind the curtain with DE:CODED Circle.
If you would like access to exclusive, private content from the security testers at SE Labs, please consider applying to join DE:CODED Circle.
DE:CODED Circle is a moderated, vetted community built with the goal of sharing threat intelligence and business-focussed security knowledge to responsible peers.
Please send your comments, questions and concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.